Thursday, April 23, 2009

Celebration vs commemoration

Today, I see, is St George's day in England. (My desk calendar says "(UK)", but I'm assuming that's just because it's published by some ignorant American. It's not like it's an actual holiday, anyway. Actually it's St George's day in a lot of places, such as Cyprus and Catalonia and Moscow, that take him way more seriously than England.)

More importantly, Saturday is ANZAC day - the second of New Zealand's annual national days.

Because it falls on a Saturday this year, we don't get a day off for it. Boo. But anyone who imagines I'm dragging my idle backside out of bed at 5 a.m. to go to a dawn remembrance service on a Saturday...

To be fair, that's not something I've done for a couple of years now. Just once, for the experience - and it was quite an experience, solemn and sad and cold, communal and tremendously uplifting. Religious, in fact. More people should do it. I should do it. Maybe in 2011.

No comments: